Forum Users' AgreementUpdatesDonate • @Twitter • @Facebook • RatSkep Shop (coming soon)

Help identifying a rock/fossil + Post your finds

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, MedGen, Mazille

Re: Help identifying a rock/fossil + Post your finds

Postby The_Piper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 am

Therapod,
Thanks for the help. I'm in no big hurry as usual, I wanted to try it.
I had put the vinegar on the first OP rock, meaning the one that's still unifentified that has the "teeth". Way back on page 1 you suggested I do a test to that rock to see if it is Limestone. I haven't dared put the vinegar onto a rock that has fossils yet.
Just to clarify. Hope you have a good day at work! :)
Edit--also, I used distilled white vinegar, 5% acid, and used 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water.

I bought what is alleged to be mammoth ivory, a dinosaur egg shell, a spinosaurus tooth. mososaur tooth. Few other things of that nature at the geology museum in Fort William. If I post pictures of them are you all going to laugh at me and say they were made last tuesday :(
Cool!
I'd love to see the pics. People here have been very helpful. I haven't been laughed at yet, at least not that I'm aware of :P:lol:
Everyone on the internet is smart, funny, AND tough. (source unknown to me)
The_Piper

Male

Belief: Pastafarian

Postby pensioner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:35 pm

theropod wrote:Man,

Take that to a good paleontologist as soon as you can. Photos 2 and 3 give me a real impression of an egg-like structure, however image 4 causes doubt in the thickness of what might be shell.

Don't get too excited 'cause it could still be a concretion. Is the surface displaying any sort of texture and is this texture of a web like nature if present?

Does the finder remember how large these "bones" were that were lost? Have you done any research into the age of the deposits in this area?

RS

No reply from my son as yet to your questions but when I get an answer I will post them.

I have not done any “research into the age of the deposits in this area” but I do know that “dinosaur/reptile remains” have been found.

I found these stones when I was on holiday in Ireland. Could they be fossilized coral?

Richard Dawkins.net Join us and get shafted.
pensioner

Male

Belief: Atheist

Postby susu.exp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Probably not. These look like igneous rock with some intersting structure. More detailed pics would be welcome.
susu
susu.exp

Postby crank » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Those are very cool looking rocks, whatever the source.
ImageImageA true friend stabs you in the front--WildeImage
crank
RS Donator

Male

Belief: Towelism
Location: The end of a very long and winding road leading nowhere

Postby The_Piper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Yeah that's fascinating. :thumbup:I wonder how it got like that. Does this "leopard rock" pic look similar?
http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/dietr1rv/leopardrx-a.jpg
http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/dietr1rv/
The_Piper

Male

Postby Faithfree » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:33 pm

pensioner wrote:
I found these stones when I was on holiday in Ireland. Could they be fossilized coral?

Possibly, although they could be igneous as another poster has noted. If coral, you should be able to see septa on those round end cross-sections. These will look like radiating spokes of a wheel. Also, if coral, the surrounding rock will probably be limestone, ie. fairly soft and easy to scratch, and will fizz in dilute acid if any is to hand. There are other groups of fossils that could look like this too (eg. some stick-like stromotoperoids), so lack of septa is not definitive for them being inorganic.
Faithfree
RS Donator

Male

Belief: zilch

Postby pensioner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Faithfree wrote:
pensioner wrote:

Possibly, although they could be igneous as another poster has noted. If coral, you should be able to see septa on those round end cross-sections. These will look like radiating spokes of a wheel. Also, if coral, the surrounding rock will probably be limestone, ie. fairly soft and easy to scratch, and will fizz in dilute acid if any is to hand. There are other groups of fossils that could look like this too (eg. some stick-like stromotoperoids), so lack of septa is not definitive for them being inorganic.

Thanks mate, I need to do some reading. I love science as it keeps this old brain if mine active. :clap:
Richard Dawkins.net Join us and get shafted.
pensioner

Male

Belief: Atheist

Postby theropod » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Alnilam,

Oh you MUS! now post images!

Piper,

Please try one more attempt at the acid etching process. Find a flat rectangular tub of some sort larger than the rock you wish to test. Use something like the fingernail polish as a mask. Emerge the entire rock in solution, and watch for a reaction. It may take several minutes for tiny bubbles to form. If the rock still refuses to react you are back to mechanics.

Air tools with a mini-jackhammer action and carbide tips can be used to rough out some stone. I do not encourage the use of Dremel rotary tools until very late in preparation and very lightly then and with soft bristle brushes. Keep silicosis in mind when doing this and wear a GOOD dust mask, as breathing rock dust is not a good idea. I will tell you right now no better way exists to destroy a fossil than mechanical attempts to divide matrix from treasure. I have had some success in working with ammonites in concretions and contacting Limonite from hadrosaur bone. Working very slowly it is possible to expose intricate detail with such a tool. These tools are not cheap. A Chicago Pneumatic is a quality tool, as is the Ingersoll Rand.

If you really want to dive into this HERE'S a good source of valid info for your situation as well as many other types of prep work.

RS
Creationism:
Ignorance on a scale so extreme that we have yet to invent an instrument robust enough to withstand the measurement, but we're working on it.
theropod

Male

Postby theropod » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 pm

pensioner wrote:

Thanks mate, I need to do some reading. I love science as it keeps this old brain if mine active. :clap:

Look Here at third image from left. Is that like your rocks?

RS
Creationism:
Ignorance on a scale so extreme that we have yet to invent an instrument robust enough to withstand the measurement, but we're working on it.
theropod

Male

Postby The_Piper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 am

Therapod,
Thanks for that web link.
I've done more reading at the fossil forum about etching too. It's confusing, I'm not used to any of these items, including the wax and nail polish.
I don't dare coat that particular rock in the OP with nail polish. :PI only bought 1 small jar.
When I bought it, the lady at the checkout said "I wish I still had fingernails" as she looks at mine. I said " it's not for my fingernails" She said, "for your toenails then" I told her it was to cover a fossil to protect it from that vinegar I was buying, and she gave me a weird look. :rofl:

The OP rock's "teeth" (concretions?) are chipping some. I also got wax between some teeth somehow. I'll have to scrape that out with a pick. It's too cool for me to risk ruining yet. :PI'm going to wait for an expert to look at it for me sometime.
I did take about a dozen pebbles, and put them into a jar of vinegar. Most formed bubbles that remained on their surfaces, but didn't fizz so that bubbles rose to the top. One did fizz slightly, out of one tiny spot in the rock.
I need to start learning about geology and fossils "from the ground up" now. :smile:Most of the stuff I read requires me to stop often to define words while I'm reading. It's still fun, just very slow.
The_Piper

Male

PreviousNext

Return to Earth Sciences